Tuesday, July 04, 2006

God of War?

My final essay for last semester was on the Canaanite genocide in Deuteronomy and Joshua. This is certainly a dividing topic - I don't think I've read so many scholars passionately disagreeing on a theological issue before - and this just among Christian scholars.

A little while before doing this essay I watched the movie, 'Kingdom of Heaven'. I found it really interesting and it had a lot of insightful one-liners. While the creator/director of the movie was probably coming from a different perspective than myself, it was in many ways it was quite a clever movie with the message it portrayed - particularly how both of the conflicting groups manipulated their understandings of God to justify their own desires and wars against each other. "God wills it!"


This brings me back to my questions: Can anyone ever kill in God's name and how do we reconcile the picture of God revealed in Jesus with the picture of a God of war and genocide? I have posted my essay on the Brown Blog (yes there will once again be activity on this blog) if you want to read it. I'd be interested to read your thoughts.

2 Comments:

At 7/04/2006 2:39 pm, Blogger Patrick said...

Hi Dave! Funny the people you meet in the blogosphere! You have posed an interesting question...shall look forward to reading your essay. The kettle is always on if you need some lighthearted kid entertainment!
Patrick & Meg

 
At 7/07/2006 9:29 pm, Blogger kelgell said...

MMm yes. That topic always got me wondering. It seems bizzare like that was a God from another time, yet He's the same God today.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home